Selecting an appropriate PHP CMS platform is one of the key decisions to make before you start your web development process. A reliable CMS always helps you to plan and fulfill your needs regarding web or app development. During the process, you need to develop your understanding of performance, features, and web design. Therefore, it is essential to have sound knowledge before you choose the right CMS to complete the web development process. Today, you have multiple resources to create a website of your choice through one of the best PHP CMS platforms.
However, your app requirements are directly linked to your choice—whether you need to create a fully functional e-commerce store or a basic website. The market is filled with various forms of CMS that could reduce your workload. Since not all developers prefer to create web pages using traditional HTML and CSS.
Table of Contents
What is a CMS?
A Content Management System (CMS) is a platform designed to facilitate the quick and simple creation of websites. CMS gives you the tools you need to manage your site’s content and add features so you can build the site of your dreams.
What is PHP CMS?
3 Essential Factors to Consider the Best CMS for PHP
Ease of use is a feature that every CMS platform must possess. However, there is a possibility that you need technical support to remove any glitches.
So, it is essential to pick a CMS that offers users specialized forums. Different CMS platforms have sizable user communities that help users resolve their problems. They feel delighted to assist clients with a variety of technological problems.
A significant benefit of CMS for PHP is the option of having multiple design templates. In some PHP CMS frameworks, you may come across a range of premeditated templates, so you don’t have to design from scratch. But it might be helpful if you could change them without having to know how to code.
Every renowned CMS has an easy-to-use interface and allows you to use it without any sound technical knowledge. The CMS is easy to understand so that you can easily add text, audio, images, and videos to websites. Having an easy and seamless process for making changes is important.
Top PHP CMS For Developers in 2024
When we talk about headless or API-oriented CMSs, ButterCMS is gradually emerging as the top CMS for developers. One of the initial platforms to develop blogs, landing pages for marketing campaigns, eCommerce sites, and other types of websites heedlessly was ButterCMS. To assist developers in getting started, ButterCMS also offers SDKs for several languages, including a PHP SDK.
With the help of different CMS features, developers may broaden their development horizons without being concerned about tech stacks. Users prefer managed CMS hosting for the same purposes. By handling scalability, the CMS frees you up to concentrate on creating content or other business-related tasks.
- Centralized CMS for PHP
- Zero Maintenance
- Adjustable with all tech stacks
- Best CMS developer to save time
- Secure and scalable
- The best CMS for professional support
- Not 100% useful for complicated web development
- No free plan
- Restricted community help
2- Neos CMS
Neos is an open-source CMS with a framework that focuses on developers, much like TYPO 3. Editors can generate and edit content as they like, and developers can create dynamic designs. The platform’s cutting-edge backend infrastructure also permits strategic extensibility.
As an influential CMS, developers can link it to the PHP framework Flow, which is quite advanced. To sum up, Neos CMS isn’t a 100% pure CMS, but it was made for integrating content and adding to it.
- You can edit and create content easily
- No PHP technical knowledge needed
- It offers a friendly community
- Development of small projects is difficult
- Challenging for newcomers
Another competitor on our list of the best PHP-based CMS platforms. Joomla is well-known for producing better blogging and portfolio websites. It includes several top-notch features that you can use to build aesthetic and vibrant blogging websites. Also, Joomla supports free SQL versions, demonstrating its capability to manage database integration.
Moreover, developers can easily add extra functionality to any web app they are building with Joomla’s abundance of designs and extensions. Since it is a PHP-based CMS, Joomla has established a strong following among leading companies like IKEA, Barnes & Noble, eBay, and more.
- Joomla is an Intuitive UI and has the best PHP CMS
- 100% adaptable front-end; unlike other PHP CMS frameworks
- Timely updates regarding security
- A suitable CMS for PHP for dynamic web applications
- You get a Joomla extension for Plesk (a hosting platform)
- Not among the SEO-enabled PHP CMS frameworks, unlike other CMS for PHP
- Challenging for non-technical people to construct custom designs
- Restricted modules for sale
- A few plugins are not 100% compatible without customization
ProcessWire is an open-source CMS and is among the top PHP CMS frameworks. It focuses on the demands of clients and developers and gives them the tools to design applications uniquely and seamlessly. It is among the best PHP CMSs for developers and is referred to as a blogging tool. It provides a Content Management Framework (CMF).
- Flexible and simple CMS for PHP
- Good community support
- PHP CMS frameworks that are easy to work with
- Best PHP CMS that is seamlessly customizable
- It is not an easy CMS for PHP to work with multiple persons on the same website
- Only helpful with MySQL and Apache
- Configure telemetry engine and analytics
Drupal is among the top available PHP CMS frameworks. It is an open-source CMS for PHP for developing online shops. Because of its extensive feature set, Drupal enables developers to build improved e-commerce websites.
Drupal, among the best PHP CMS for developers, gives you add-on modules with a variety of PHP CMS framework functions and settings required, as opposed to WordPress. WordPress allows you to extend its functionality through plugin installation. Top IT businesses like Harvard University, NBC, Princess Cruises, MTV UK, and Tesla use Drupal for website management.
- The CMS for PHP can be massively expanded upon
- Consistent updates increase framework security
- Drupal is well-suited to eCommerce
- Best PHP CMS for WordPress sites with considerable traffic
- Complex CMS for PHP for non-developers
- Not friendly for blogging sites or other publications
- Custom module installation is difficult
Another well-known PHP platform on our list is TYPO3. Different operating systems support it, including macOS, Windows, Linux, OS/2, and FreeBSD. The main purpose of TYPO3, as the best CMS developer, is to power the online stores and portals of big businesses.
What makes TYPO3 different from other flexible content management systems? It allows you to manage your content and code independently, which gives consumers a lot of flexibility. And if you’re wondering what the nicest part about this CMS is, it supports 50+ languages and has built-in localization.
- Substantial community
- One of the Flexible PHP CMS frameworks with various functionalities
- Enterprise-level CMS for PHP
- Hard to configure CMS for PHP
- Entry-level technical training is challenging to find
It is a free-of-cost and open-source CMS for PHP. It used to be referred to as TYPOlight. It works for medium-sized to huge websites. Contao is among the best PHP CMS for developers that provides features including an intuitive design, a multilingual backend, and a separate administrator layer. It is also user-friendly and has the best PHP CMS.
Contao includes a theme manager that makes it simple for users to manage themes. Developers can create websites with Contao using pre-designed modules. On Contao websites, you can access professional themes with business applications support.
- Seamless security
- High-quality system and extendable web structure
- User-friendly CMS for PHP
- Not suitable for complex enterprise
- Not a sizable community
- Not supportable for multi-level workflow
Laravel powers the PyroCMS. In 2012, Pyro, an easy-to-use abstracted CMS for PHP, was created. After version 3.x was released, PyroCMS started utilizing the Laravel framework. Version 3.4.x was most recently released in 2018. Today, the PyroCMS has considerable traction on GitHub, with 944 forks, along with 2871 stars, showing a robust contributor list.
Developers can mix and match PyroCMS’s components because it is modular. It is one of the best PHP CMS for developers to fit the project’s needs.
- 100% customizable CMS for PHP for all requirements
- 100% integrable with 3rd party apps
- Seamless setup and installation with a few commands
- Documentation can be more descriptive
- Developers need more effort to go deep into the file system
- Absence of migration stream structure
Magento is the most widely used platform among PHP CMS frameworks for creating sophisticated online stores. It was designed to help out with e-commerce applications. Nike, Ford, Foxconn, and other renowned brands use Magento for their online operations. For customers’ reliance, Magento’s streamlined and improved eCommerce functionalities are significant for Magento. The main benefit of using Magento as the best CMS developer is that it lets you make eCommerce apps that are tailored to your business.
Moreover, Magento is seen as one of the PHP CMS frameworks due to its sizable developer community. The community regularly contributes to the platform’s frequent updates. With the release of Magento 2, the platform has gone through a lot of changes that make it the best CMS for PHP if you want to build a large online retail business.
- Features-rich best CMS developer that helps construct modern eCommerce stores.
- Highly user-friendly and simple to execute
- Wide community base with a regular contribution to platform plugins
- One of the best PHP CMS for easy scalability
- The platform is relatively expensive for premium versions
- Magento offers a slower loading time, unlike other platforms
- Supports dedicated hosting only
- Product support is costly
One of the most well-known and cost-free PHP CMSs is It supports various applications and is adaptable to handle different user scenarios. WordPress is a fantastic platform for building everything from an easily-readable blog to a complex e-commerce store. Also, you might be interested in the fact that more than 75 million websites are already running on this platform.
The community of thousands of web developers contributes to the success of this PHP CMS. It may be adjusted and customized to fit various needs. WordPress offers the largest selection of additional widgets, themes, and plugins to meet your demands. The full WordPress PHP for CMS package comes with built-in SEO tools that can help you make your website more visible in search engines.
- Accessible PHP CMS
- Offers the most prominent theme and plugin directories
- One of the secure PHP CMS frameworks
- Integrated SEO features
. You may receive frequent update notifications
- There may be hacking attempts as it is an open-source platform
- Knowledge is essential for customization
Grav is a modern flat-file CMS that doesn’t require a database. It’s designed for speed and simplicity, making it a good fit for smaller projects and static websites.
- Grav’s flat-file architecture simplifies setup and maintenance, as it doesn’t require a database.
- Due to its flat-file nature, Grav tends to offer fast performance, especially for smaller websites.
- Grav may not be the best choice for complex projects that require advanced database features.
- The plugin ecosystem may not be as extensive as that of traditional database-driven CMS.
12- Bolt CMS
Bolt CMS is a lightweight and straightforward CMS built on the Silex and Symfony components, designed to be fast, extensible, and easy to use.
- Bolt CMS is designed to be lightweight and efficient, making it suitable for projects with performance considerations.
- The user-friendly interface makes it easy for content creators and developers alike to work with the CMS.
- Bolt CMS has a smaller community compared to more established CMS, which can impact support and available extensions.
- While Bolt is feature-rich, it may lack some advanced features compared to larger and more complex CMS.
13- Fork CMS
Fork CMS is a modular and extensible CMS with a focus on user-friendliness, making it suitable for both developers and content creators.
- Fork CMS allows developers to extend functionality through modules, providing flexibility in customization.
- The CMS is designed with a user-friendly interface, simplifying content management for non-technical users.
- Fork CMS has a smaller community, which may affect the availability of third-party modules and support.
- While extensible, the number of available third-party extensions may be limited compared to more widely used CMS.
LemonStand was an e-commerce-focused CMS that aimed to provide a customizable and developer-friendly platform. However, it is no longer actively maintained, and users are encouraged to seek alternative solutions.
- LemonStand was designed with a focus on e-commerce, providing features specific to online store management.
- The platform allowed for extensive customization, making it suitable for developers.
- LemonStand is no longer actively maintained or supported, posing potential security and compatibility issues.
- Users may face challenges in migrating from LemonStand to alternative platforms due to its discontinuation.
15- Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware
Tiki Wiki CMS is an all-in-one solution that integrates a content management system with wiki, forums, blogs, and more, providing a comprehensive platform for collaborative projects.
- Tiki Wiki integrates various collaboration tools, reducing the need for multiple separate systems.
- The platform offers a comprehensive feature set, making it suitable for projects requiring diverse functionality.
- Tiki Wiki’s extensive feature set may be overwhelming for simple projects that do not require all its functionalities.
- Due to its rich set of features, there may be a learning curve for users new to the platform.
B2evolution is an all-in-one CMS that supports multiple blogs and content types, providing a versatile platform for managing various types of content.
- Evolution supports multiple blogs and content types within a single platform.
- The platform is designed to handle different content structures, making it suitable for diverse projects.
- B2evolution has a smaller community compared to more popular CMS, potentially impacting support and availability of extensions.
- For large-scale projects, evolution’s scalability may be a concern compared to more established CMS platforms.
Why is WordPress considered an all-time best CMS?
Due to its easy-to-use and manageable interface, WordPress is the best CMS for PHP. Users think that WordPress is the best PHP CMS for developers because the websites look good and work well
What are the key considerations for a good CMS?
A good and easy-to-use CMS should be cost-effective, have design templates that don’t require any code, and be able to move data.
How does headless CMS function?
A headless CMS allows you to publish web pages or content. However, it offers content as data over an API.
After reading this post, we’re confident that you now understand how several PHP content management system frameworks will assist you with your upcoming web design project. You need to list your criteria and choose a PHP CMS framework that satisfies them all.